You know you’re in Chicago when even the classical musicians wear their Blackhawks pride on their sleeves. The musical love began last week with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra‘s souped-up rendition of the Hawks’ goal song, “Chelsea Dagger”. Yesterday, the Lyric Opera of Chicago and Merit School of Music joined the party with congratulatory messages and a brass serenade.
Lyric Opera posted a congratulatory message to the Stanley Cup champs on the Civic Opera House’s marquee yesterday, while their Facebook page shared “soprano’s point of view” photos of the crowd and buses in front of the building. Throughout the Stanley Cup series, Lyric had engaged in a friendly #CHIvsBOS tweet-off with the Boston Lyric Opera (BLO) to see which of the two companies could get the most re-tweets. BLO offered #OperaBruins the chance to win dinner at a local restaurant and two tickets to their production of Mozart’s The Magic Flute, while Lyric tendered #OperaHawks tickets to The Second City Guide to the Opera.
The Merit School of Music joined in the festivities by bringing nearly 70 trombone and tuba camp students to the parade route to belt out “Chelsea Dagger” as the Hawks rode by. You can check out the video below. Congratulations, Hawks!
Photo courtesy Lyric Opera of Chicago
- The CSO Cheers for the Blackhawks with ‘Chelsea Dagger’ Goal Song (thecontrapuntist.com)
- Lyric Opera, CSO, and Chamber Ensembles Perform for Make Music Chicago’s Glorious Culmination (thecontrapuntist.com)
- Enjoying Chicago Through the Lyric Opera (local.answers.com)
- One epic, Cup-kissing, version of Chelsea Dagger (wgntv.com)
- Second City’s Guide to the Opera Returns with More Hilarity (thecontrapuntist.com)