This week’s Dancing with the Stars episode tested the celebrities’s nerves with the “Instant Jive”. The couples choreographed their jives during the week and picked their musical selections in a random draw the night of the performance. The music gods smiled on Ricki Lake/Derek Hough and JR Martinez/Karina Smirnoff, giving them some excellent toe-tapping music from the 50s and 60s.
Ricki and Derek blew the roof off with Wilson Pickett’s “Land of a Thousand Dances”. The band’s rhythm section had me literally bouncing up and down on the couch. Plus, the chorus of that song is ridiculously catchy. I’m going to be singing “Naa, na na na na naaa” for the next week and a half.
JR and Karina closed out the night with an electrifying performance of Little Richard’s “Tutti Frutti”. The vocalist did a dead-on imitation of Little Richard’s crazy vocal acrobatics. I loved the sizzling saxophone solo in the middle of the song as well.
- DWTS Week 7: Musical Highlights from Performances by Nancy Grace and Team Paso (thecontrapuntist.com)
- DWTS Weeks 4 & 5: Musical Highlights from Performances by Ricki Lake and JR Martinez (thecontrapuntist.com)
- DWTS Week 2: Musical Highlights from Performances by Nancy Grace and JR Martinez (thecontrapuntist.com)
- J.R. Martinez on Dancing With the Stars: Waltzing and Jiving to Perfection (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- J.R. Martinez Says ‘DWTS’ Last Night ‘Was an Out-of-Body Experience’ (aoltv.com)