Buddy Holly had a unfortunate early finale. This year, the rock legend would have turned 75. To celebrate the occasion, current music stars held a tribute concert, Buddy Holly: Listen To Me, at The Music Box in Hollywood on Buddy’s 75th birthday (September 7th). Beginning on December 3, the special performance will begin airing on PBS (check local listings).
Produced by Songmasters, the all-star tribute proved a historic rock ‘n’ roll moment, with an incredible line-up of performers including Stevie Nicks, Chris Isaak, Lyle Lovett, Raul Malo, and Graham Nash — rocking the house in the company of a host of superstar guests. Among them were such avowed Holly fans as Paul Anka, Boz Scaggs, Shawn Colvin, Patrick Stump, Cobra Starship’s Gabe Saporta and Victoria Asher, Michelle Branch, and famed guitar slingers James Burton and Albert Lee. The amazing finale featured all performers in the show in a rousing rendition of Holly’s best-known song, “That’ll Be The Day.”
In addition to the performances, a series of video tributes were featured throughout the show, including homages to Holly from Keith Richards, Ringo Starr, Jackson Browne, Brian Wilson, Pat Monahan (of Train), Imelda May, and the one and only Eric Idle of Monty Python’s Flying Circus fame.
Chris Isaak joined Peter Asher (producer) as co-host of the evening. Adding to the magic of this musical celebration are other friends and family from Buddy Holly’s life, including Maria Elena Holly and Phil Everly, making what may well be his last public musical appearance.
- “Crying, Waiting, Hoping” – Chris Isaak
- “Everyday” – Patrick Stump
- “Heartbeat” – Chris Isaak and Michelle Branch
- “I’m Looking for Someone to Love” – Lyle Lovett with James Burton
- “It Doesn’t Matter Anymore” – Paul Anka
- “It’s So Easy” – Stevie Nicks
- “Learning the Game” – Shawn Colvin
- “Listen to Me” – Raul Malo
- “Maybe Baby” – Boz Skaggs
- “Oh, Boy” – Patrick Stump
- “Not Fade Away” – Stevie Nicks
- “Peggy Sue” – Cobra Starship (Gabe Saporta and Victoria Asher)
- “Raining in My Heart” – Graham Nash
- “Rave On” – Boz Scaggs, Graham Nash and Peter Asher
- “That’ll Be the Day” – All-Star Cast
- “True Love Ways” – Raul Malo
- “Well All Right” – Lyle Lovett