The third annual National Opera Week will take place October 28-November 6. The celebration honors the opera short-form through exciting activities and events held across the United States. Chicago Opera Theater (COT) will host four free events around the Chicago area, as well as a benefit for COT’s Young Artists Program.
- The popular “Pop-Up Opera” features free short performances of opera classics at iconic Chicago locations. To find out hints on exact times and locations, follow COT on Twitter @ChicagoOpera or look for #popupopera. If you include the hashtag in a tweet during National Opera Week, you will be automatically entered in a contest that includes COT tickets and gift cards to COT’s preferred restaurants.
- In conjunction with the Chicago Office of Tourism and Culture and the Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University, COT will offer a free performance of Daron Aric Hagan’s “New York Stories” featuring members of COT’s Young Artists Program. The performance will take place Tuesday, November 1 at 6:00 PM at Preston Bradley Hall in the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 East Washington.
- COT’s Opera Underground Executive Council will host “Opera with a Twist” to raise money for COT’s Young Artists Program. Young persons under the age of 45 are invited to this special reception to mingle with COT Young Artists over desserts, light appetizers, and cocktails. The benefit will take place immediately after “New York Stories” from 7:30 PM-9:30 PM at Skycap Park on the 24th floor of the MDA Apartments (63 E. Lake St.). Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 at the door and are available by calling 312-704-8414 and at ChicagoOperaTheater.org
- The free Opera Scavenger Hunt gives adventurous music lovers the opportunity to explore classical music and opera hotspots in Chicago. Participants will receive a discount to the upcoming 2012 season and be entered to win COT tickets. To join in the fun, download the “Scavenger Hunt with Friends” iPhone and Android app.
For more information about any of these events, click here or call 312-704-8414.
- USUO Celebrates National Opera Week (Oct 28-Nov 6) (releasedorothy.wordpress.com)