Despite my best intentions to do weekly posts highlighting the best musical performances on Dancing with the Stars, my life got kind of crazy over the past couple of weeks, and I fell off of the writing wagon. But I’m back again today, and I’m excited to share some highlights from the last two exciting weeks of DWTS.
Week 4 featured music from the movies. The best music of the evening accompanied the most outstanding dance performance of the night – Ricki Lake and Derek Hough’s chilling tango to Bernard Herrmann’s “Psycho Theme”. The Harold Wheeler band did an outstanding job of navigating the difficult time signatures and tempo changes while communicating a sense of menace. I also have to mention that I was bowled over by Derek’s incredible choreography.
Week 5 took a trip back in time to the 80s. The most exciting music of this episode was Gloria Estefan’s “Conga”. The band’s sense of joy and excellent rhythm section provided the perfect inspiration for JR Martinez and Karina Smirnoff to dance their booties off. You can check out each of the performances below.
- DWTS Week 2: Musical Highlights from Performances by Nancy Grace and JR Martinez (thecontrapuntist.com)
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’: J.R. Martinez Heats Things Up (mtv.com)
- Dancing With the Stars: Ricki Lake Doesn’t Rule the Floor on ’80s Night (eonline.com)
- Ricki Lake Reveals How She’s Preparing for Cher’s ‘DWTS’ Appearance (abcnews.go.com)
- J.R. Martinez talks ‘DWTS’ perfect 10, Karina Smirnoff opens up about wedding postponement (ontheredcarpet.com)