The Harris Theater for Music and Dance has announced its complete 2011-2012 Harris Theater Presents season (click here for a complete list of artists and performances). The schedule includes two big firsts for the Harris Theater and the city of Chicago – a residency by the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center and performances by the Paris Ópera Ballet.
The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center will participate in a three-year annual concert series and residency at the Harris Theater. The group will perform three concerts during the 2011-2012 season:
- Friday, January 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM – “Great Clarinet Trios” features CMS artistic directors cellist David Finkel and pianist Wu Han performing clarinet trios by Beethoven, Bruch, and Brahms with renowned clarinetist and former CMS artistic director David Shifrin.
- Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM – “Masters of the Keyboard”. Pianists Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, Anne-Marie McDermott, André-Michel Schub, and Wu Han collaborate in an exciting program featuring four-hand piano works including the glittering melodies of Debussy, Bizet’s playful “Children’s Games,” and a show-stopping arrangement of one of iconic American composer George Gershwin most popular works—An American in Paris.
- Tuesday, May 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM – “French Virtuosity”. The recital will include Camille Saint-Saëns’s First Piano Trio and First Violin Sonata followed by Ernest Chausson’s Concerto in D Major for Violin, Piano, and String Quartet Op. 21. Performers will include pianists Inon Barnatan and Juho Pohjonen; violinists Jessica Lee, Kristin Lee, and Elmar Oliveira; violist Beth Guterman; and cellist Andreas Brantelid.
The Paris Ópera Ballet will be touring the United States for the first time in more than 10 years. They will kick off their tour at the Harris Theater, accompanied by the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra. According to Brigitte Lefèvre, Company Director of the Paris Opéra Ballet:
The company will bring to life grandiose productions of the timeless Giselle, and an all-French program featuring three outstanding choreographies of the 20th century: Suite en blanc, L’Arlésienne, and Boléro. The [Harris] Theater’s intimate feel and outstanding sightlines provide the ideal canvas to stage some of our most beloved and iconic works. We eagerly anticipate our Chicago debut performances and the opportunity to meet the city’s extraordinary arts patrons
The schedule of performances is as follows:
- Opening Night Benefit Gala – Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM. The dance company will perform Giselle, a cornerstone of the company’s repertoire since the work’s 1841 premiere. The performance will be followed by cocktails and an elegant three-course dinner in a magnificent tent located in millennium Park’s Chase Promenade. The evening will close with dancing.
- Program A: Giselle – Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM; Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM.
- Program B: Mixed Repertoire – Lifar’s Suite en blanc / Petit’s L’Arlésienne / Béjart’s Le Boléro – Friday, June 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM; Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM; Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 7:30 PM; Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Tickets may be purchased either at the Harris Theater’s website or by calling 312-334-7777.