This morning, NBC’s Today Show highlighted a fantastic hip-hop Hanukkah video by Yeshiva University’s (YU) all-male a cappella group, the Maccabeats. “Candlelight” is the Maccabeats’ version of Taio Cruz’s hit song, “Dynamite”. The singing group was formed in the fall of 2007, when a few YU students realized that Jewish collegiate a cappella groups have been formed on almost every college campus with a substantial Jewish student community except for YU. The students formed the Maccabeats, and they have performed at university events and concerts all over the US, including Madison Square Garden. According to their website, their mission statement is as follows:
Strongly committed to the philosophy of Torah u-Madda, the integration of traditional and secular wisdom, the Maccabeats perform an eclectic array of Jewish, American, and Israeli songs.
The Today Show only aired a portion of their video, but you can check out the full version below. You can find the lyrics here.
Update: check out the Maccabeat’s 2011 Hanukkah video, “Miracle”, here.
- Maccabeats Makeover Taio Cruz’s ‘Dynamite’ (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Friday Videos Wish You a Happy Hanukkah (smartbitchestrashybooks.com)
- Viral Hanukkah Parody Music Video by Jewish Hip-Hop Kids Lights Up YouTube; Targeting 100,000 Views (prweb.com)
- Erran Baron Cohen’s Klezmer/Hip-Hop Hanukkah Song, “Dreidel” (thecontrapuntist.com)
- The Maccabeats’ Hanukkah “Miracle” video (thecontrapuntist.com)